Cedar Chests Are Perfect for Storing Textiles

This morning, I performed a common autumn ritual. Perched on my hands and knees, I dug through the bottom of my closet, past the shoes all mis-matched on the floor, past the belts I removed from garments I wanted to wash, and onto the sweaters. Pushed into a squished back corner of my closet for the summer, my sweaters and sweatshirts are in dire need of a better storage solution.

Toy Chest Bench

Sure, they'll be transferred to my dresser drawers as the weather calls for them more often. But, then that back corner will turn into the home of bathing suits, tank tops, sun dresses, and flip flops. Plus, as I pull the sweaters out from the back corner, I'm dreading the seasonal discovery of a moth hole in the elbow of my grandmother's cashmere cardigan.

Toy Chest Bench

The solution, however, is NOT pulling out sweaters that smell like moth balls. The solution is a beautiful and functional cedar chest. One of the most timeless home accents, cedar chests, like steamer trunks, and toy boxes, are priceless and practical pieces that become a life safer. While, obviously decorative storage can be used to store, well, anything... cedar chests are perfect for storing textiles.

Cedar is rot and decay resistant, but it also highly resistant to insect attack. No matter what you store in a cedar chest, you will never have to add foul-smelling moth balls. The rich cedar will naturally deter moths and keep your fabrics beautiful.

Having a spot to switch out seasonal clothes is a great way to keep your closets and dressers clean and organized. After all, having to push through swim wear to get to your heaviest wool stocking is not going to make you feel any better about braving the snow. Nor, is it a good use of your space. Keep a cedar chest as a constantly rotating storage area for clothes that don't need to be readily available. It can also be a good place to store formal handbags or shawls that you don't use all that often, but don't need to be hung up in a garment bag either.

But, if you thought my sweater-storage system was bad... just wait for my bed linens. With no linen closet to speak of, I now have all of my winter blankets and extra sheet sets stored in a cardboard box in the basement. I learned what a terrible idea this was earlier this month when I realized my wool blankets had the distinct musty smell of "the basement." This will not be the case next year! I will be placing a cedar chest at the bottom of the bed to fill it with blankets, sheet sets, and maybe even extra pillows. When it's time to change the sheets or even just pull an extra blanket out for a cold evening, your linens will be at your finger tips. Plus, there is no greater feeling than pulling heavy blankets out of your cedar chest on a cool autumn evening and smelling that inviting and comforting cedar aroma.

Cedar chests are also perfect for storing towels, bags, fabric, baby clothes, curtains, and whatever else you can think of. Be kinder to your textiles by storing them in a high quality cedar chest that will deter damage and keep your fabrics organized and fresh.

Cedar Chests Are Perfect for Storing Textiles
Toy Chest Bench

Manfrotto Monopod Head Flip Ultrahd Camcorder Hands Free Magnifier